Some bloggers are wondering if India can find an Obama. Do you think we can? WHAT DOES BARACK OBAMA STAND FOR?
I know there are plenty of chinks in his armour, but doesn't he remind you of Gandhi? He gave each one of us, 'hope of a better day'... Even if he does nothing, his speech has managed to make people all over the world see that we all want the same things from our leaders!
We all want someone who would have the 'determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress'; a leader who would respect the importance of 'the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity'; someone who can say 'I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to – it belongs to you.'
In my opinion, the people who straightaway disqualify are :
1. Modi (communal, right winger, prejudiced, violent, divisive)
2. Vajpayee (weak, right winger, communal)
3. Advani (the less said the better)
4. Mayawati (too full of herself, not a clean record, not unifying)
5. Lalu Yadav (past record not very productive, pending court cases)
6. All Thakres (violent, parochial, divisive)...
Do add more to the list.
And those who may not be perfect but can be considered (not necessarily politicians)
1. Manmohan Singh (Educated, courageous, unbiased, clean record)
2. APJ Abdul Kalam (a brilliant visionary, extremely popular, too old?)
3. Priyanka Gandhi Vadhera (young, mixed race & religion, educated, no past record, except her family)
4. Omar Abdullah (heard him speak very well, and he talks sense, on TV)
5. Rahul Gandhi (young, secular, mixed race and religion, no criminal record :) But ... he is only known for his dynasty!!!)
6. Anna Hazare (determined, can lead, courageous, too old? No political experience.)
I noticed how we won't allow anyone above sixty to do most jobs, we retire them promptly, even if they are fit, but we don't think twice before electing them to govern the country!
Who do you think could be India's Obama?